Wednesday 2 January 2013

Annie Hall (1977 movie)- Review






Directed by: Woody Allen
Released: 1977
Country: United States

Starring: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts, Paul Simon, Carol Kane, Christopher Walken, Shelley Duvall, Colleen Dewhurst

Genres: Romantic-comedy, Drama

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Review

''Annie Hall'' is one of Woody Allen's best known movies, and the film is a winner of four Oscars (Best Picture, Best Actress- Diane Keaton, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay). I think ''Annie Hall'' is a very good movie, but I also think it's overrated.

But I don't mean it's too overrated. I mean it's only a bit overrated. Well, it happened like this that since it was a Best Picture winner, I thought it would have been an excellent movie, perhaps a masterpiece, and I've also heard that it's one of Woody Allen's bests.

So, very well. I saw the movie. I loved it. I thought it was very good. But it didn't, however, meet my expectations. I expected, as I wrote before, it would be a great movie, but I found it to be just a fairly brilliant film.

Nevertheless, praises to you, Woody Allen, for directing such a brilliant film.

More of that later... First of all, the story.

Neurotic comedian Alvy Singer has broken up with singer Annie Hall. He remembers his times with Annie, mostly, as well some parts of his life, and he recalls a number of previously minor breakups with Annie, their deep relationship, their arguments, and the fun that they had.

But the story is not what makes it brilliant. Rather, I think ''Annie Hall'' is made such delightful to look at by the presentation. Alvy frequently breaks the fourth wall and talks directly to the audience. Not only this, sometimes, Alvy and others look at his past and discuss. That's an interesting thing. There are several more aspects in the presentation which makes it a delightful one.

Humor and romance and subtle dramas prevail throughout. The childhood of Alvy, shown through flashbacks, is hilarious, showing his mother taking him to psychiatrist, his house under a roller coaster, and also, the earliest memorable hilarious scene in the movie, the scene at the school. I won't go into details about that scene; it's a hilarious one and I want you to enjoy it yourself.

Next, it's a fast and smooth movie. That's a likeable thing about this movie as it's so relaxing to watch. It doesn't actually get serious. The whole thing is light and well, relaxing.

Background music can be hardly heard in this movie, but however, two songs Annie sings in this movie. I loved one of them, ''Seems Like Old Times''. That's a beautiful song sung by the character Annie in this film, and the song is adorable.

But one thing I'd like to criticize is that sometimes it merely get pointless. I won't like to describe the whole in detail. The story is very good, the screenplay by Woody Allen and Marshall Brickmann is excellent, but still, despite being such a good and relaxing movie, some parts felt actually a bit... umm... pointless to me. But then, it is a brilliant film, isn't it, and overall, nice one.

''Annie Hall'' is, as I said before, slightly overrated, but you have to admit that it's a pleasant and relaxing movie. Again, praises to Woody Allen for such a nice movie like this.
 


3.5 out of 5




No comments:

Post a Comment