Tuesday 2 July 2013

''Safe Haven'' (2013 movie)- Review

Directed by: Lasse Hallström
Released: 2013
Country: United States
 
Main cast: Julianne Hough, Josh Duhamel, Cobie Smulders, David Lyons, Mimi Kirkland, Noah Lomax, Irene Ziegler

Genres: Romantic drama, Mystery

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Review

I must say that after coming across several negative reviews of this film I thought that it may not be a satisfactory film. In spite of that, I decided to watch this film because I had absolutely loved the original novel by Nicholas Sparks. And I must say that I wasn't disappointed with this film. I wasn't at all disappointed with this film. It may not be an excellent film, it may have qualities of chick flicks, but however, I liked this film.

Based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, the style of storytelling in the film has a difference from the original novel. However, I really liked the alterations. I try NEVER to judge a film based on how much accuracy it has with the novel it is based on. Therefore, though the style of storytelling is altered and different, the film itself is beautiful. Not excellent, but yes, really nice.

A mysterious woman named Katie (Julianne Hough) arrives in a small fishing town. There, she becomes friends with a store owner, Alex, and also becomes close to his little daughter, Lexie.  Katie also become close with her neighbor, Jo (Cobie Smulders). 

Slowly, Alex and Katie fall in love. In course of the film, Katie's background is revealed. Her real name is Erin. She has run away from her abusive husband, Kevin, and has taken a false name and false identity. When Alex comes to know about this, he decides to help and protect Katie. 

However, Kevin cannot forget Katie. He takes all efforts to find Katie, to take his wife back home. What happens? How can Katie hide from her abusive husband? Will Katie and Alex able to find peace through their love?

Julianne Hough's performance as Katie is really excellent. Josh Duhamel and Cobie Smulders also give remarkable performances. Another aspect that requires special mention is the background music. I was highly impressed by the background music. From the beginning to the end, the score kept amazing me, because it was very pleasant and beautiful.

The screenplay is also pretty good. As I mentioned before, there are several differences in the storytelling from the original novel. And I really appreciated the style of storytelling. The twist at the end is very well portrayed and the ending was really wonderful! However, I must say that the climax is slightly altered and has much less suspense than that of the original novel. 

Overall, I thought it was a good movie. I didn't love it, but I did like it. Sometimes, I was indeed slightly disappointed because of *a few* of the differences in the storytelling, I liked the overall movie.

3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment